How can preventative dentistry help in maintaining a healthy set of teeth? How does it address dental problems to keep the patient’s oral health in good condition? Generally speaking, preventative dentistry is important and plays a vital role in our oral health condition. You will learn about it if you tag along with me throughout this article. Let’s go!
What is preventative dentistry?
We know this term more as preventive dentistry or preventive dental care. It is the field in the medical industry that provides care to keep our teeth healthy. It is important to remember that dental health is not as shallow as it seems to be. Most of all, it also has an impact on our overall health. Once an individual’s dental health fails, it can significantly affect their general health as well.
For this reason, we should apply preventive dental care to achieve overall health goals. Preventive dentistry is a way to secure dental health through regular dental checkups and proper oral hygiene. The younger an individual starts to do preventive dental care, the healthier their teeth can be until their adulthood.
Preventive dentistry requires your full participation to be successful. You are the main character in this storyline, and your dentist takes the supporting role. In general, both of you belongs to the main cast that should not be missing in action.
How preventive dentistry takes place?
Preventative dentistry starts with you. Good dental habits allow you to lower the risk of having dental problems, such as tooth decay, gum disease and many more. Here is the primary preventive dental care that you have to start practising regularly.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. It would be better to use a soft-bristled toothbrush partnered with a fluoride toothpaste. With the help of your dentist, they can recommend which brush and toothpaste are best for you. There is also a proper technique of brushing that your dentist will tell you.
- Flossing at least once a day is also essential. Flossing allows you to remove the food particles stuck between your teeth. These food particles can attract bacteria and later form plaque that will develop into gum disease and other dental issues.
- You can also use mouthwash to rinse the particles that you have removed during flossing. It is also one way to have a fresher breath.
- It would be best to avoid too many acidic foods. They are the leading causes of enamel erosion.
- It will help if you limit eating hard foods. Too much consumption of solid foods can cause chips or cracks in your teeth.
- Quit smoking or using tobacco products. We all know how it can affect our oral health and mostly our general health. It can lead to severe health conditions and dental problems.
- Use protective gears when doing intense activities, such as sports.
- Do something about your bruxism or teeth grinding.
These simple practices can take your oral health an extra mile in your course of life. Now, how do our dentists play their supporting roles?
What does a dentist do for preventive dentistry?
A preventative dentist provides dental care that includes different dental procedures to treat early signs of dental diseases. Additionally, they keep their goals to keep your teeth healthy, free from gum disease, and prevent tooth loss.
Nowadays, preventive dentistry has so much in store to maintain high-quality dental health condition. Here are a few of these preventive dental care procedures.
- Professional dental cleaning: Brushing and flossing may not be able to reach some parts of your teeth. This procedure can remove the plaque and tartar altogether. Do this at least twice a year.
- Dental sealants: These are thin coatings that can protect the back surface of your teeth from decay.
- Fluoride treatment: This mineral provides strength and protection against tooth decay. Fluoride treatment applies to those who do not get enough fluoride.
- Laser decay diagnosis: It is one of the dental technological advancements that detect early signs of decay.
- Protective mouthguards: Your dentist will recommend these to you if you are inclined to activities that can be dangerous for your teeth.
- Oral cancer screenings: It is essential to detect early symptoms of oral cancer. This way, they can apply the necessary treatment right away.
- Salivary diagnostics: This test belongs to the exciting development that preventive dentistry has. It is an excellent way to detect dental issues using an individual’s saliva.
- X-rays: This procedure is part of the routinary dental care that a dentist perform. It enables the dentist to detect dental diseases such as tooth decay, gum disease and many more.
Benefits offered by preventative dentistry
Besides the preventive procedures mentioned above, your dentist will provide you with all the information you have to know about preventative dental care. They will even explain how essential it is and its consequences if you do not regularly practice it.
- Preventive dentistry reduces the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease and other severe dental issues.
- It helps you reduce the risk of developing health issues due to poor oral hygiene, such as diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, respiratory disease and cancer.
- It promotes good oral hygiene habits.
- The early detection of potential dental issues can help save money due to minimal treatment needed.
- Regularly visiting your dentist allows them to do a full exam with your mouth and other related issues.
- They can also apply immediate restorations if your teeth have chips or cracks. It will keep your teeth intact.
Our Dental Care in Drummoyne suggest 2 annual check-ups to keep your oral health and overall health at peak. If you have kids, introduce them to preventive dentistry as early as possible. Preventative dentistry is the best option to avoid restorative treatments and save money.