Can eye dilation cause problems? Why is it needed in the first place? What should we do in case a side effect arises? Some medical procedures or exams may tend to be questionable for us. However, as long as you are working with an experienced doctor, there is nothing to worry about. The eyes are also prone to diseases. For instance, a cataract can occur, but it is still possible to undergo cataract surgery. Through technological developments, eye diseases are still treatable as long as detected earlier.
Overall, it involves the increase in the pupil’s size. By doing this during an eye examination, the doctor can see the retina and optic nerve. In effect, they can quickly determine the patient’s health level. The doctor applies dilation drops to widen the pupil. Moreover, these drops help keep the pupil in a vast state even if the doctor shines a light on it.
Every patient can have different reactions toward these dilation drops. Later on, we will discuss the potential effects of dilating the eyes. Meanwhile, through this access that eye dilation creates, the doctor can detect whether you have the following eye conditions or not.
- High blood pressure: If you continuously neglect this health issue, the retina’s blood vessels can incur damage in the long run.
- Retinal detachment: It is the condition wherein the retina pulls away from the blood vessels. It will lead to insufficient nutrient and oxygen supply.
- Diabetes: Being diabetic increases the risk of developing diabetic retinopathy. It primarily affects the blood vessels attached to the retina.
- Macular degeneration: It involves incurring damage in the macula element of the retina. On the negative side, it can lead to vision loss, which is irreversible.
- Glaucoma: Various types of glaucoma can develop, which results in optic nerve damage. This damage is more likely to occur when the eye pressure is abnormally high.
We have already known that eye dilation is essential so that doctors can check the inside parts of the eye. In this case, can eye dilation cause problems? What are the possible side effects after undergoing eye dilation? Let’s see as we along with this article.
Consider watching this short video to understand what happens during a dilated eye exam.
Considerations for eye dilation
Eye conditions are different per person. For this reason, the necessity to undergo eye dilation will also vary. The following factors will also determine whether you need eye dilation or not.
- Ethnic background
- Eye health
- Overall health condition
- The reason for the eye evaluation
Eye dilation can help doctors identify potential or existing eye diseases. However, they would still balance according to these factors if you need eye dilation.
Can eye dilation cause problems?
Eye doctors will use dilation drops, and people may react differently. The typical effects of eye dilation are blurry vision and light sensitivity. Moreover, these effects can last for four to six hours with the majority. In this case, the patient cannot drive after the eye examination. For this reason, it would be best to have someone around during your eye appointment.
During this period, you will be experiencing trouble focusing on objects. The dilation drops may also cause a stingy sensation after the application. On the other hand, this will only last for a few seconds. Furthermore, these side effects will also go away once the pupil starts to return to its usual size.
Usually, the side effects are minor and will not cause severe discomfort. However, if the side effects turned out entirely bothersome, the best thing to do is consult the eye doctor. Meanwhile, relative to the dilation drops, it can also have potential side effects on an individual.
These side effects may include a dry mouth, rapid pulse, fever, and facial flushing. Moreover, some eye dilation drops can have long-lasting effects.
Managing eye dilation effects
Can eye dilation cause problems? It’s partly yes. However, the pupils should return to their original state once the drug wears off. During the occurrence of the side effects, here are the things that you should do.
- First and foremost, rest your eyes. It would be best not to return to work or school after your eye examination.
- It will help if your room or home is dark if you still have eye dilation.
- Additionally, it would be better to wear sunglasses when you go outside. It can protect your eyes against too much light.
- Moreover, it would be best if you will not drive in this state. Your eyes tend to become blurry during this condition, so it will not be safe.
After the eye examination, it is essential not to strain your eyes until the pupils become undilated.
Preventing eye diseases
In general, we also have to take care of our eyes. They can also incur health issues. Additionally, doctors can also determine some health concerns through our eyes. For this reason, it would be best to have a regular eye examination.
In actuality, you only have to undergo an eye exam with dilation every one to two years. On the positive side, you are helping to keep yourself and your eyes healthy by doing this. As a result, you can prevent the risk of developing eye diseases.
As they say, the eyes are the windows to our soul. Physically looking at it, the eyes serve as the window to determining whether we’re healthy or not.